Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Monday was election day, and more than 34% of Edmontonians took the time to cast a ballot this time. Mandel was re-elected, but the big news was down in Calgary, where Naheed Nenshi was elected. Mandel is looking forward to working with Nenshi. I don’t think social media played as large a role as it could have in the election, but Todd is right when he says that there is huge potential.
- Re-elected Councillor Kim Krushell wasted no time in calling for election finance rules to be revisited in light of the Envision Edmonton campaign.
- Now that the election is over, it seems the proposed downtown arena is going to be back in the spotlight. The Katz Group issued an RFQ this week for architectural and engineering services, while the City is launching an online questionnaire on Thursday, and will be hosting open houses and discussion groups in November.
- The Edmonton Humane Society was recognized recently for its value-added services offered with each pet adoption at the Summit for Urban Animal Strategies.
- Did you know there is a growing community of fashion bloggers here in Edmonton? Jen Fong introduces us to some of the bloggers here.
- The fate of Molson House is looking grim – if a new owner can’t be found it could be demolished.
- Edmonton’s BioWare was recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the fifth time since 2004.
- The Edmonton Oilers are the first Canadian NHL team to launch a Cheer Team.
- Over 4000 hours were pledged at the second Edmonton Timeraiser!
- You can now watch CBC Edmonton on Bell Satellite TV.
- The Beyond 2010 conference was a big success here in Edmonton this last week, as was the Hackathon put on by Edmonton Geek Girl Dinners. They worked to create an emergency preparedness app.
- We’re about a week away from Movember, and there are lots of teams getting started in Edmonton!
- The old Cycle Building on Alberta Avenue is being revitalized, and Arts on the Ave has all the details here.
- Vote for Miss dEdmonton 2010 here! Check out the dEdmonton site for everything Halloween in Edmonton. The organization’s co-chair, Darryl Plunkie, was interviewed on the latest episode of The Unknown Studio.
- For more headlines from the past week, check out theedmontonian.com.
- Coming up on Wednesday is Cantoo, a screening of the 57th Annual Cannes International Advertising Reel of Winners.
- The Oil Kings are in action at home on Wednesday against the Chilliwack Bruins, and again on Saturday against the Vancouver Giants.
- Thursday is the 70th anniversary gala for the Edmonton Social Planning Council, featuring guest speaker Michael Phair.
- There’s another Edmonton Police Service town hall meeting on Thursday, located at the Woodvale Community Hall.
- Spooktacular 2010 takes place on Friday night at Fort Edmonton Park!
- The Eskimos are in action again on Saturday against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
The Edmonton Journal has teamed up with Transcend Coffee for the i ❤ #yeg contest!
It was a wet, cold day in Edmonton today. Better than snow though!
UPDATE (9 hours later): Guess I spoke too soon on the snow! And really, it isn’t so bad!