Welcome to the ninth State of the Edmonton Twittersphere for 2010, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton, AB. You can see the stats for August here.
For information on the data, definitions, and other background, click here.
For September 2010:
# of local users: 9188 (an increase of 700 from August)
# of tweets by local users: 503471
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 39862 (7.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 178519 (35.5%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 131229 (26.1%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 34503 (6.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 16028 (3.2%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Just under 51% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 11.7 tweets per minute in September (compared to 10.8 tweets per minute in August).
- The day with the most local tweets posted was September 23 at 21096. On average, 16783 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 15536 in August).
- Of the 178519 replies posted by local users this month, 69081 or 38.7% were to other local users.
- A total of 1904 users posted 50 times or more in September. In comparison, 1233 users posted just once.
Here are the top ten most active local users (not including bots):
Here are the top ten most active local users using #yeg (not including bots):
Here are the top ten most replied to local users:
Here are the top ten most retweeted local users (by other local users):
I’m not sure why there was a bit of a jump in users and in the number of tweets posted in September, except perhaps that people go from “summer” mode to “get down to business” mode. Interest in the upcoming election made have played a role as well.
As with the previous month, the number of retweets includes both new and old style, both with and without extra comments.
Slowly catching up on my stats – I should have the rest of 2010 up soon.
As always, keep in mind that the stats above rely upon users setting the location field of their profile to something like “Edmonton”. Users who leave that field blank or who put something like “Canada” are not reflected in the above stats. More Information.