Be sure to check out Edmonton Etcetera for updates throughout the week!
Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach announced this week that he will not seek re-election. Dave has a good roundup of reaction.
- You can see the latest residential snow plowing status and schedule here. The snow, combined with warmer temperatures recently, has caused all kinds of problems, such as the roof collapse at the Northgate Lions Senior Centre.
- In case you missed them – here is my interview with City Manager Simon Farbrother, and here is my interview with CIO Chris Moore. Also, be sure to check out my profile of Joyce Tustian, who is retiring from the City this week.
- Happy Anniversary to the new Art Gallery of Alberta!
- It wasn’t as well attended as organizers had hoped, but Freezing Man still sounded like a great event.
- The City’s History is in Good Hands – the Transforming Edmonton blog visits the City Archives.
- At the Old Strathcona Farmers Market, I spotted a petition on the Walterdale Bridge replacement project. David Staples thinks the City should spend whatever it takes to build a signature bridge.
- Excavation is underway for the new Community Centre in Boyle Renaissance. The previous Boyle Street Community Hall will be demolished.
- Spend a few minutes with…Garner Andrews.
- Transcend Coffee is set to open its third location in the former Axis Café space. It’ll feature an expanded hot food menu.
- Here is the 2010 Fourth Quarter Report to the Community from EPS and the Edmonton Police Commission.
- Bombardier is interested in Edmonton’s rail projects, both LRT expansion and a possible high-speed rail link to Calgary.
- Edmonton designer Sid Neigum will be making his debut at LG Fashion Week this spring.
- Here’s the latest newsletter from the Edmonton Public Library.
- The City is looking for inspired designs for five LEED silver certified park pavilions.
- For more headlines from the past week, check out theedmontonian.com.
- Brittney has had some great features lately on City Councillors. Here’s Ben Henderson, Bryan Anderson, and Ed Gibbons.
- International Week starts tomorrow! You can see the event on ShareEdmonton here.
- Also tomorrow is the next Emerging Business Leaders meeting.
- Los Angeles is in town on Wednesday evening to take on the Oilers.
- On Thursday evening I am participating in Twitter Talks with a bunch of other local Twitter users. Should be fun!
- The Edmonton Renovation Show takes place next weekend at the Edmonton Expo Centre. The gun show is also at the Expo Centre next weekend.
- Saturday evening is the Showdown Showcase concert from The Bounce.
- Winter Light continues next weekend with Common Ground, which takes place at Giovanni Caboto Park.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Fantastic winter shot of the Peter Hemingway Pool by Darren Kirby.