Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Effective December 31, 2012, the 2013 compensation increase for the Mayor and City Council is set at 3.22%. Mayor Mandel has decided to end three years of self-imposed salary freezes and will accept an increase of nearly $30,000. Some think that means he won’t run again later this year, others think it means he will. We’ll know by the end of March.
- Could Alberta’s keno lottery be the solution for the missing $100 million for the downtown arena? Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith thinks so.
- On Thursday, the City started clearing trees on both sides of the North Saskatchewan River to make way for construction of the new Walterdale Bridge. And starting tomorrow, trails will be closed until construction is completed in 2015, but a detour will be in place.
- Some good news today for hockey fans – a tentative deal has been reached between the NHL and NHLPA, which means the Oilers could be back in action as early as January 15.
- Here’s a look at the Idle No More Flash Mob Round Dance that took place at Kingsway Mall.
- You’ve probably heard by now about the bylaw prohibiting vehicles from idling in front of schools and hospitals for more than five minutes per half hour when the temperature is above zero degrees, but there are some other changes taking effect his year too.
- The police are reminding citizens to stay alert and not open their door to strangers. Seems obvious, but some folks have apparently let a suspect into their homes recently.
- This has come up a number of times of the years, but it seems the City is now looking for bidders to design, build and operate a funicular that would make it easier to get into the river valley from downtown.
- Opening the Potential is a program that aims to boost the number of female politicians in Edmonton.
- In 2012 there were 29 traffic fatalities resulting from 28 fatal collisions and 49 serious injury collisions. Of those, 57% involved speed and 35% involved an impaired driver.
- The Journal reports that there were 29 homicides in Edmonton in 2012.
- Just a reminder, nominations for The Yeggies are open until the end of the month! Three new categories have been added too: Best in Family or Parenting, Best in Non-Profit, and Best in Business.
- Here is probably the best photo you’ll see of Edmonton’s big New Year’s Eve party.
- In case you missed it, here’s Edmonton as seen by Chris Hadfield aboard the International Space Station!
Edmonton Alberta - the North Saskatchewan River looks serpentine, writhing through the capital city. http://t.co/pHqGjCfU—
Chris Hadfield (@Cmdr_Hadfield) January 03, 2013
Here are some upcoming events:
- Deep Freeze: A Byzantine Winter Festival is taking place on January 12 and 13 on Alberta Avenue. They’re still looking for volunteers if you’re interested!
- Tuesday night is Edmonton’s 20th DemoCamp! The following day, Startup Edmonton is hosting a lunch & learn on the power of relationships.
- Blue Rodeo is playing at the Jubilee on Tuesday and Wednesday!
- The Exchange.js January Meetup takes place on Thursday evening at Startup Edmonton.
- Like basketball? The Harlem Globetrotters are at the Expo Centre on Wednesday.
- On Friday night the Oil Kings host the Lethbridge Hurricanes at Rexall Place.
- The Edmonton Rush kick off the 2013 season on Sunday when they take on the Toronto Rock at Rexall Place.
- The Edmonton Motorcycle Show runs all weekend at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Beautiful Muttart/Skyline shot by Darren.