Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- Sounds like New Year’s Eve was a big success for Citytv, with a record-breaking 5.9 million unique viewers tuning in. “The inaugural year of the Edmonton celebration also garnered a strong audience among key demos, beating closest competitor Global by 24% among 2+ viewers and 19% among A18-49.”
- The Journal is doing a series on pets & local personalities, and this week CTV Edmonton’s Daryl McIntyre talks about his dog Dolly.
- Here’s an interesting thread on Reddit about why we lack a radio station dedicated to classical music.
- Sounds like Nail Yakupov has caused a stir with the media because he doesn’t like to talk to them. I like David Staples’ take on the situation: “Do the simple, easy things (giving out mindless post-game quotes) without any fuss or hassle, so you can focus on the big, difficult things ( playing well in the NHL).”
- Global Edmonton’s Carole Anne Devaney will be welcoming Oprah when she is in town on January 21!
- New Trail caught up with some local media folks for their Alumni Asked & Answered feature! Here’s Todd Babiak, Kristine Owram, and yours truly!
- Tamara is still looking for help with the next Meet the Media! Get in touch with her if you’re up for it.
- Welcome back to The Charrette! “It’s 2013, a new year, full of possibilities and hope. Just imagine the potential. So many things to write about and do!”
- Here’s another look at Andy Clark’s appearance on Undercover Boss.
- If you’re still reading about 2012, you’re not alone according to the Journal’s David Johnston. “We’re now a week into 2013, yet judging by our Internet traffic records, many readers still have a foot in the door of 2012.” Speaking of 2012, don’t miss my roundup of 2012-in-review articles.
- Karen sent me this really intriguing post that compares the future of local news with the local food movement. Foodies, you’ll like this one!
- Are traditional media organizations really dying, or are they actually doing better than ever?
- I wanted to mention EPL and CBC’s Human Library, coming up on January 26. I’ll be one of the “living books” along with Omar Mouallem, Charles Rusnell, Mark Connolly, Rick Harp, and many more!
- My copy of the first issue of MODCITY Magazine arrived in the mail the other day!
- Avenue Edmonton did a nice feature on I Think I Do, a new movie that was filmed right here in Edmonton. Here’s the IMDB page and here’s the teaser:
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!