I made the long journey to India over the weekend! I’m in Pune for the rest of the week on business. I hope to share some sights & thoughts before the week is out, but of course I’ll be posting stuff to Twitter and Facebook as I go.
Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Happy 100th to the High Level Bridge!
- Well this is exciting! A pilot project will launch this week at a couple of downtown locations that replaces our aging parking meters with new ones using the same technology as Calgary.
- Congratulations to Michael Parkatti, winner of the Oilers Hackathon!
- All of the City’s outdoor pools are now open as of Saturday. Get out and enjoy!
- Folk Fest has once again sold out, this time with a ticket lottery that took place at Telus Field.
- Love paintball? Then you’re going to love the new Edmonton Paintball Centre!
- Edmonton will be hosting a number of matches next summer during the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup. The tournament takes place from August 5 to 24, 2014. Then the following summer, we host 11 matches for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- If you haven’t already done so, check out the LIVINGbridge project. Very cool.
- The Province has launched an Open Data catalogue, at long last!
- Finally a press release that talks about what the City is doing to try and solve the pothole problem! “Transportation Services, by way of its Engineering Services Quality Assurance Laboratory, has spent nearly a decade researching the materials and processes used by the City of Edmonton in roadway construction and maintenance.”
- Paula Simons: Edmonton’s municipal charisma deficit might make us Toronto’s envy
- Don’t worry, there aren’t any bed bugs on ETS buses. But they fumigated four buses anyway.
- Alberta’s minimum wage will increase 2.1% starting September 1, taking it from $9.75 to $9.95 per hour.
- Did you get your copy of the Urban Recycler newsletter?
Awesome look at Edmonton, with 8 images stitched together, by Darren.
Here are some upcoming events:
- The Creative Age Festival starts on Tuesday and runs until June 9.
- There’s another public involvement meeting taking place on Wednesday for the Southeast to West LRT.
- Nextfest has a great new website and starts on Thursday!
- Park after Dark kicks off on Friday night at Northlands Park at 6pm.
- It’s not quite Super Saturday anymore, but June 8 will still be busy with the Pride Parade as well as the Pancake Breakfast and Centennial Block Party.
- The next Red Shoe Crawl takes place on Whyte Avenue on Sunday!
- Also taking place on the weekend is the Sprouts New Play Festival for Kids.
- Don’t forget, TEDxEdmonton is coming up on June 15. Hope to see you there!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.