Here is my latest update on local media stuff:
- More waves over at Postmedia! The latest is that the Journal’s Lucinda Chodan has been promoted to Regional Vice President Editorial, Eastern Region and Editor of the Montreal Gazette. She leaves for Montreal in September. At the moment, that leaves the Edmonton Journal without both a local publisher and a local editor-in-chief. Here’s what Lucinda tweeted about the news:
- Rogers announced on Thursday it is shutting down its CityNews channel and slashing jobs at OMNI across the country. A total of 39 employees at OMNI were impacted, including folks here in Edmonton like Sarah Stilwell as original content will no longer be produced from Alberta.
- Linda Hoang has announced this is her last week with CTV Edmonton. She’s moving over to NAIT to be the Digital Communications/Social Media Specialist. Congratulations Linda!
- Liz Nicholls will be honored with a one-time Outstanding Media Coverage of the Theatre award at the Sterling Awards this year.
- Here’s a Q&A with Ruth Kelly, CEO of Venture Publishing. She talks a bit about the online radio network that is slated to launch this fall.
- Congratulations to the winners of the 2013 Digital Alberta Awards! Lift Interactive won Best in Social Media for their work on Make Something Edmonton.
- The Leduc Rep is looking for a Multimedia Reporter to join their team.
- Want to see what CTV Edmonton’s studios looks like? Here’s a photo tour by William Vavrek.
- If you can get past the paywall, here’s the latest Relinked column. I’m going to have to stop linking to the Journal.
- Sunil wrote an interesting post on paywalls and hockey analytics.
- Welcome to Twitter Isabelle Gallant! It’s about time!
- Remember that new EPS web series called The Squad? It’s been cancelled.
- Kerry Powell is speaking about the Future of News at TEDxEdmonton on June 15.
- Hey Eden’s Market on 124 – if you’re reading this, please stop spamming the #yegmedia hashtag.
- Sounds like Meet the Media was another big success! Here’s one photoset and here’s another.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!