Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- The City launched a new site for public engagement this week called the Edmonton Insight Community (EIC). Have you signed up yet?
- Big news for the Oilers this week! With their third overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Oilers selected centre Leon Draisaitl. They also made five other selections. Today they traded Sam Gagner to Tampa Bay for Teddy Purcell. Here are some initial reactions to the trade.
- Less than half of the people asked about the Galleria project in a recent survey supported it. The project’s backers clearly have work to do.
- Former City Councillor Linda McCulloch (Sloan) has been elected Chairperson of Public Interest Alberta.
- If your commute involves a trip across the 102 Avenue Bridge over Groat Road, get ready for some delays. The bridge will be closed for 15 months starting on July 1.
- Trains won’t be running until December, but the new Kingsway/Royal Alex Transit Centre is now operational for bus riders. The new facility includes public washrooms, retail, and improved shelters and waiting areas. The old transit centre at Kingsway Mall is now closed.
- ETS is running a contest to promote shuttle service between South Campus Transit Centre and Fort Edmonton Park. You have until July 31 to enter!
- Four more routes – 33, 72, 78, and 79 – are being added to the Smart Bus fleet. Slowly but surely, I guess.
- The City is looking for feedback on traffic safety. You can complete their survey for the next four weeks. Shouldn’t this have been made available through the new EIC?
- They’re also running a survey on River Access Principles to guide the decision making process for new and refurbished river recreation infrastructure.
- Lactuca Urban Farm has a new home on a one-acre site at Northlands. Exciting to see urban agriculture in Edmonton growing!
- Speaking of which, here’s a feature on beekeeping in Edmonton.
- Edmonton Rush owner Bruce Urban has been named one of three finalists for the 2014 NLL Executive of the Year award. The winner will be unveiled at the NLL Awards on September 21.
- Here are the June Operation 24 Hours results. A total of 4,174 tickets were issued, up from 3,074 back in June 2013.
- The Edmonton Police Service has launched an interactive voice response (IVR) system to handle non-emergency calls. The non-emergency number is 780-423-4567 or #377.
- Have you checked out Mother’s Market yet? It’s Edmonton’s first three-day market. Sharon has the scoop.
- Matthew Dance explains why all Edmontonians should be interested in open data and citizen engagement.
- EEDC is looking to hire a Project Facilitator to work with Make Something Edmonton.
- Here are the latest urbanism headlines from Spacing Edmonton.
- The urban beach / sand park at Louise McKinney has been put on hold. The next Council will deal with it.
- I really need to get over to Borden Park to check out “Willow”, a beautiful sculpture that has been featured countless times on Instagram!
- Annoyed by horrible parking? There’s now Twitter and Facebook accounts for publicly shaming offenders.
- Have clothing to drop off for the Bissell Centre? Here are updated drop off locations and times.
High Level Streetcar, photo by Jamey M. Photography
- There are a ton of things happening for Canada Day! Check out this listing of more than 20 events taking place throughout the region. I’m looking forward to the fireworks of course, but also the Lighting of the High Level Bridge. There’s also the Heritage Chinatown Night Market.
- On both Monday and Tuesday evenings, the Edmonton Prospects host the Regina Red Sox at Telus Field.
- The 2014 edition of the Edmonton International Street Performers Festival kicks off on Friday at Churchill Square!
- The inaugural BaconFest YEG takes place on Friday night at the ATB Financial Arts Barns. We’re running a bacon-themed Truck Stop in conjunction with the event, but no ticket is necessary. Just bring your cash and buy from the trucks!
- Also Friday, the Eskimos host the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Commonwealth Stadium.
- On Saturday evening, the Royal Alberta Museum is hosting another #MuseumAfterDark event.
- The Historic Festival & Doors Open Edmonton starts on Sunday at locations throughout the city.
- The Edmonton International Track Classic takes place on Sunday (with an open competition Saturday) at Foote Field.
- Also Sunday is The High Street’s Summer Block Party from 10am to 4pm. Or if you’re south of the river, check out the 3rd annual Takin’ It To The Streets event on Whyte Ave. And if you’re in Sherwood Park, check out Savour Strathcona County.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.