Well that was a busy weekend! Both the 97 Street Night Market and the ImMACulate Garden Party were fun, thanks to everyone who attended! For Sharon and I, there’s now just one big What the Truck?! event before our September wedding. Check out some engagement photos we took with Moments in Digital Photography here.
Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- United Airlines is ending flights between Edmonton and New York as of October 24. The flight to Newark began in May 2013. EIA says we shouldn’t be too concerned, because United Airlines is “heavily invested in Edmonton” with other routes.
- The Great Neighbourhoods Capital Program is investing $15 million in 18 neighbourhoods this year. Stony Plain, Jasper Place, and Alberta Avenue are among the areas receiving upgrades.
- Whyte Avenue could become car free on Friday and Saturday nights at least for a few hours if a new pilot project goes ahead. You can fill out a survey on the idea here.
- 2015 will mark the 10th anniversary of the Edmonton Rush, and the club has announced a logo contest with the winning logo featured on all team jerseys next year. Hard to believe it has already been 10 years!
- On Tuesday the Oilers announced that the entire roster of the 1984 Stanley Cup Champion team will reunite on October 10 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of our city’s first Stanley Cup victory. Tickets sold out in less than one hour.
- Here’s a look at EPCOR’s service by the numbers. For example: “There are about 55,000 wood power poles in Edmonton, of which we inspect 11,000 each year. So, each pole is checked every five years for rot, damage, splitting or physical damage.”
- Justin Trudeau was in Edmonton speaking to supporters recently. David Climenhaga says you shouldn’t dismiss him.
- Four more bus routes are getting Smart Bus technology: 3, 10, 11, and 112. By the end of November, about a third of Edmonton Transit’s fleet will be equipped with the necessary technology.
- The C-Line has been replaced with an expanded and rebranded Leduc Transit service, which begins regular operation on September 2. The City of Leduc will pay 65% of the operating cost, with Leduc County contributing the remaining 35%.
- Officials from the rideshare app Uber reportedly met with City officials this week. Apparently Edmonton’s $75 minimum fare for limousine rides (enacted to prevent limos from competing with taxis) is currently preventing Uber’s expansion to Edmonton.
- Could Whyte Avenue be getting a late-night food truck alley? The idea has been proposed.
- This is a fun read: Avenue Edmonton sent correspondent Omar Mouallem to the year 2033 to report on the future of commuting.
- Also, Omar says the Walterdale Bridge preservation plan deserves a fair review.
- Here’s an interview with mayor Don Iveson about transforming Edmonton.
- From Linda, here are the top 26 Edmonton Instagram users you should follow!
- The Fringe wrapped up today and organizers are hopeful that great weather over the final weekend could put the final numbers over last year. We should know early this week! You can read about the holdovers here.
Edmonton City Centre, photo by IQRemix
- The World Triathlon Grand Final comes to town on Monday! The event runs through September 1. Here are the road closures and detours you need to be aware of.
- The 2014 Canada 55+ Games kick off in Strathcona County on Thursday.
- On Thursday evening, the Telus World of Science is hosting Dark Matters. The theme this time is Aliens & Cowboys.
- Friday is Bacon Day at LUX. The fifth annual event raises money for YESS.
- In place of Symphony Under the Sky this year, the ESO is hosting Symphony in the City at Churchill Square! Disney in Concert takes place on Friday and Saturday evenings, and Celtic Colours with The McDades takes place on Sunday evening. All concerts are free!
- The 2014 edition of SONiC BOOM kicks off on Friday and runs through Sunday at Northlands.
- The first ever Edmonton Reggae Festival takes place on Saturday at Louise McKinney Park from noon until 10pm!
- FC Edmonton hosts Minnesota United FC on Sunday at Clarke Stadium!
- Save the date for our final What the Truck?! of the year – our biggest ever, with 25 trucks, on September 12 at Churchill Square!
- From Frugal Edmonton Mama, here are 21 end of summer family friendly Edmonton activities!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
2014 Fringe Performers Parade, photo by Robert
One thought on “Edmonton Notes for 8/24/2014”