I’m in Miami for most of the week for work. Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- It was pretty hard to miss all the news this week related to Bill 10. Here’s a solid overview and timeline from Dave. Also don’t miss Alberta Diary’s coverage, and also this post from I Dig Your Girlfriend.
- The City’s newest recreation centre and library is officially open! The Meadows is a beautiful building from the outside – I plan to go visit the inside soon.
- I am chairing the Engagement Subcommittee for the Northlands Arena Strategy Committee, and our activities got underway this week with the launch of an online survey. Please take a few minutes and let us know what you think should happen to Rexall Place!
- A team of students at the University of Alberta has run a successful crowdfunding campaign to build and launch Alberta’s first satellite.
- It was another busy budget week for Council! Among other things, they made a tentative commitment to park-and-ride at Heritage Valley.
- In St. Albert, their City Council has approved the alignment for future LRT through the city.
- Congratulations to The Provincial Archive, winners of the second Edmonton Music Prize.
- In case you missed it, I wrote about the City’s budgets and the Edmonton Police Service.
- EPS and the Police Commission released their 2nd and 3rd quarter reports to the community this week.
- From OilersNation: So you want to be a Flames fan?
- Greg Lepp, Q.C., was appointed to Edmonton Provincial Court, Criminal Division, effective December 4.
- A new AHS report says that both the Royal Alexandra and Misericordia hospitals need major upgrades.
- I’m certain the term “Yeddies” will not stick, but this is still an interesting piece from David Staples on City Council and “downtown dwellers”.
- You can now use your camera phone to report problematic taxi cabs. You can also use the 311 app to report winter cycling obstacles.
- Want to have your say or ask questions about the City’s proposed annexations? You can fill out the Sturgeon County survey until December 16.
- For the latest on neighbourhood blading and to see when your neighbourhood is scheduled to be done, check out this page. After the first big snowfall of the season, the City issued 1,825 fines for parking ban violations, which is more than the first snowfall last year.
- I was sad to miss it, but it sounds like today’s #yegsnowfight was a success!
- Here are the latest urbanism headlines from Spacing Edmonton.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
Amazing pano from Jeff Wallace!
- Make Something Edmonton’s latest event takes place on Monday night at the Winspear Centre! Sound, Light, and Motion sounds like it’ll be unique and entertaining evening.
- Take a festive walk one evening this week and check out Celebrate the Season at the Alberta Legislature! The lights look beautiful and you can get a sneak peek at the Federal Building improvements too.
- Festival of Light continues this week at the Valley Zoo!
- Get ready for more provincial politics on Tuesday when the Edmonton Chamber hosts the Premier’s State of the Province luncheon.
- The Oil Kings host Kamloops on Wednesday at Rexall Place.
- This year’s shared Christmas event at the Expo Centre takes place on Thursday and Friday, called Fire & Ice.
- Don’t miss the Culture Collective’s Holiday Market on Thursday evening at Yellowhead Brewery.
- The 2014 edition of Candy Cane Lane officially starts on Friday!
- The Oilers host the Ducks at Rexall Place on Friday evening and the Rangers on Sunday.
- Hope to see you on Saturday for the Local Good’s first annual fundraiser.
- In case you missed it, here’s my guide to 2014/2015 winter festivals and events in Edmonton! And if you’re looking for something to do on New Year’s Eve, check out Linda’s event listing!
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.