Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- Vue Weekly is celebrating 20 years and 1000 issues this month with a series of events taking place all around town. They’ve also been asking for input on why alternative papers like Vue are still important and relevant.
- Global News has launched a new, more responsive website design. Looks good! Also new from Global is a podcast, using a service called Raur.
- Also check out the new podcast from Karlynn Johnston and Phil Wilson called Where I Ate Wednesday. Awesome to have a food-themed podcast!
- The Journal featured some local fashion bloggers recently who are turning their hobbies in viable businesses!
- Newcap’s General Sales Manager Kelly Walter has stepped into the General Manager role until a replacement for Sharon Taylor is found, according to @MediaInYeg.
- Metro Edmonton is looking to hire a new Managing Editor. I believe Darren Krause, Managing Editor for Alberta, is doing the role currently, so maybe this is an expansion?
- Jay Hatton has joined Dani Rohs on the 92.5 Fresh FM morning show!
- The Edmonton Sun has certainly had some memorable front pages over the years, but their effort on December 5 was something else entirely!
- Postmedia is looking for a Product Strategist to join the team here in Edmonton. Don’t apply if you’re interested in a traditional newsroom job!
- The Wanderer is accepting applications for two positions: Politics Editor and Managing Director. The submission deadline is Friday.
- Happy third birthday to the #YEGFILM blog!
- Check out the next Capital Ideas Edmonton event on December 17: How do you celebrate success?
- Here are Linda’s latest social media notes and here is Karen’s latest local blog roundup!
- The redesigned Calgary Herald website launched on November 25. Check it out for a preview of what’s coming for the Edmonton Journal.
- Bell has launched a new streaming service kind of like Shomi and Netflix called CraveTV. Seems pretty restricted at the moment, however.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!