Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- You should have received your 2016 property assessment notice this week. The City says the most residential property owners will see a small increase in the value of their properties. A typical single-family, detached home is valued at $408,000.
- Have a natural Christmas tree to get rid of? The City will start pickup on Tuesday. If you live in a condo or apartment, take your tree to a recycling depot or Eco Station for free by January 30. Last year a total of 13,068 trees were collected for recycling.
- Edmonton’s Waste RE-solutions has signed a joint-venture agreement with the Chinese city of Lichuan to develop a waste processing facility.
- It seems the Edmonton Sun is running a campaign to get “City of Champions” back on Edmonton’s welcome signs (see also here, here, and here). I think removing “City of Champions” was the right thing to do. Here’s how our entrance signs came to be, and here are my thoughts on branding our city with signs and slogans.
- Taylor Hall will be the sole Edmonton Oilers player at the 2016 NHL All-Star Game.
- In other Oilers news, long-time PA announcer Mark Lewis announced he will retire at the end of the season.
- Laurie Hawn, Tim O’Brien, and Micki Ruth have joined the Edmonton Police Commission for 2016.
- Reconciling Edmonton is a great post by Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail. “Too often Edmonton’s story is presented as one of pioneers, homesteaders and settlement where Indigenous Peoples are relegated to the distant past.”
- Here’s an open letter titled My Name is Edmonton… written by Edmonton.
- Nominations are being accepted from January 11 to February 21 for the Edmonton in Bloom: Winterscapes program. “A winterscape can include snow, ice, lights, landscaping, ornaments, and winter-themed scenery.”
- Here are the finalists for this year’s Edmonton Music Prize. The award will be handed out on Tuesday.
- A privately run fertility clinic based in Burnaby, B.C. is planning to open a location in Edmonton this spring. It’ll be located in the redeveloped 9888 Jasper building.
- Want to give the city your feedback on the fares charged by taxis and Uber? Monday is your last chance to fill out the survey.
- Gas prices in Edmonton have been as low as 72 cents recently, “plunging to lows reminiscent of the 2008 recession.”
- Congratulations to Jobber on being nominated for the Canadian Startup of the Year award in the Techvibes Startup Awards! You can help them win by voting here.
- Here are the latest urbanism headlines from Spacing Edmonton.
- Have you checked out the new EPL website? I think it looks great. You can provide feedback here.
- For more recent headlines, check out ShareEdmonton.
- You can learn about enhancements to Johnny Bright Sports Park at information sessions on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday this week.
- Have you gone to see the Ice Castle at Hawrelak Park yet? Perhaps on Sunday, which is World Snow Day!
- Quikcard Minor Hockey Week takes place all week along at 20 different arenas in the Edmonton area.
- The Oil Kings host the Prince Albert Raiders on Wednesday, and the Kamloops Blazers on Sunday.
- The Edmonton Whisky Festival takes place on Wednesday at the Delta Edmonton South.
- JCI Edmonton is hosting its Mentorship Launch & Networking event on Thursday at Our Parents’ Home.
- The Edmonton Motorcycle Show runs Friday through Sunday at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
- You can get a sneak peek at Rogers Place on Saturday afternoon!
- The Oilers host the Flames on Saturday at Rexall Place. Here are all the details.
- For more upcoming events, check out ShareEdmonton.
Ice Castle, photo by TimTaylorSmith