Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Council passed a motion on Tuesday to look at selling greenfield land in residential suburban areas to pay for development in the core.
- The Oilers won their final game of the season, but Connor McDavid left the game with a leg injury after crashing into the post. An X-ray was negative, but he still needs to have an MRI to determine the damage. Earlier in the week, he said his frustration level after missing the playoffs was “really high. It’s really, really high.” Also during the final game, Leon Draisaitl scored his 50th goal of the season!
- The “missing middle” design competition is underway with 25 submissions unveiled this week. The winner will be announced on May 29.
- Boyle Street Community Services has launched a new campaign called Building 4 Boyle to encourage the next provincial government to support its proposed $18 million makeover.
- Councillor Jon Dziadyk wants to open an office somewhere within his ward for constituents to visit him. Because…his ward lacks community spaces, I guess?
- Edmonton could get its own “Ciclovia”-style event if Council approves funding for the proposed Open Streets event. Too bad the planned date is a Sunday.
- The City of Edmonton Archives has uploaded more than 25,000 historical photos to its new website called Access to Memory.
- Council approved Copperblock Capital’s rezoning application to build a new 49-unit apartment building in Inglewood. Construction is planned to start this summer.
- Edmonton Fire Rescue Services is accepting applications for its next class of Fire Cadets. Apply by April 30.
- Troy and I discuss land sales, cyclist tickets, crosswalks, and a story about Sarah Hamilton on the latest episode of Speaking Municipally. Tell your friends!
- Get the latest on Media, Tech, Food, Health Innovation, Music, Business, and Council with Taproot Edmonton’s latest roundups.
Humboldt Skyline, photo by Jeff Wallace
- It’s Time: A Conversation about Domestic Violence in Edmonton takes place Monday evenng at the Edmonton Inn & Conference Centre.
- Together Alberta, a roundtable discussion about the work local communities are doing to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals, takes place Monday afternoon at the Telus Centre.
- Another Big City Moves Workshop is being hosted by the City of Edmonton’s City Plan team on Tuesday morning at the Clareview Community Recreation Centre.
- The City of Edmonton and University of Alberta are hosting the Open Science Showcase Event on Tuesday afternoon at City Hall.
- Homeward Trust Edmonton is hosting the 2019 Indigenous Gathering on Wednesday at the Edmonton Inn & Conference Centre.
- The Local Good presents Green Drinks: Election on Wednesday evening at Yellowhead Brewery.
- The next Edmonton Innovation Ecosystem Community meeting takes place on Thursday afternoon at the Edmonton Convention Centre.
- Apathy is Boring presents RSVP: Ready Set Vote Party on Thursday at Yellowhead Brewery.
- DemoCamp Edmonton 45 takes place on Thursday night at the U of A.
- Rapid Fire Theatre’s Bonfire Festival continues from Friday to Saturday.
- The 2019 Edmonton Volunteer Fair takes place on Saturday at West Edmonton Mall.
- Law Day Edmonton takes place on Saturday at the Edmonton Law Courts.
- The Wild Rose Antique Show takes place Saturday and Sunday at the Edmonton EXPO Centre.
- The Spring Edmonton Woman’s Show runs Saturday and Sunday at the Edmonton EXPO Centre.
- EPL’s Capital City Records is releasing a limited edition compilation of local music on Saturday night at the ATB Financial Arts Barns.
- Fleetwood Mac performs at Rogers Place on Saturday evening.
Thanks for reading! Want to support my blog? Buy me a coffee!