Local updates from the Media Roundup
Here are a few select updates from today’s Media Roundup:
- Avenue Edmonton was named Magazine of the Year in the 2019 Alberta Magazine Awards.
- RTDNA Canada announced the winners of the 2019 Prairie Region RTDNA Awards of Excellence. CBC Edmonton won an award in the Sports – Feature Writing category, Global Edmonton’s Bob Layton won for Opinion and Commentary, Global News Radio 880 (CHQT) won its first RTDNA award in the Short Feature category, and CTV Edmonton won an award in the Long Feature category.
- Andrew Grose submitted his resignation from 630 CHED last week. “It’s been a great experience working with all of the fabulous people at Corus and Global,” he tweeted. “Thank you all for letting me be part of your afternoons.” Grose indicated he’d be focusing on his comedy. J’lyn Nye addressed the news on Thursday’s show.
- Postmedia’s Larry Wong and CBC Edmonton’s Jennie Russell were both named as finalists in the 2018 Canadian Association of Journalists awards. The winners will be announced on May 4.
- Jeff Samsonow has decided that Edmonton Quotient will not be returning from hiatus.
Media-related updates from elsewhere
And here is some non-local media news that I found interesting this week:
- Facebook’s new “Today In” feature so far is surfacing most crime alerts and court decisions, says Nieman Lab.
- A new poll by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal found that 60% of people don’t trust Facebook to protect their data.
- On my long read list from BBC: Why there’s so little left of the early internet.
- From Nieman Reports: “For many publishers, there’s not much question if voice will grow. The question is whether news will grow with it.”
- A Movie Like The Matrix Might Never Happen Again. “On its 20th anniversary, the sci-fi classic is as dazzlingly original as ever—too much so for the risk-averse Hollywood of today.”
Follow Edmonton media news using the hashtag #yegmedia and be sure to check out Mediagazer for the latest media news from elsewhere. You can see past Media Monday Edmonton entries here. If you have a tip or suggestion for future updates, let me know.