Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- Tuesday is Election Day in Alberta! I have updated my #abvote results dashboard for 2019 – bookmark it for election night! Elections Alberta says nearly 700,000 people voted in advance polls, almost triple the number from 2015.
- The City has officially terminated its contract with Thales for the Metro Line LRT signalling system. “This is the end of the line for Thales,” Mayor Don Iveson told reporters. Thales issued a strongly worded statement indicating they’re going to fight. “Thales continued to witness a fundamental lack of leadership from the City of Edmonton on this project,” the release said.
- The Edmonton Pride Festival has been cancelled for this year. “In light of the current political and social environment, it has been determined that any attempt to host a festival will not be successful,” reads an email from the board of directors.
- TransEd has announced that 95th Avenue in Strathearn between Connors Road and 85th Street will be closed for 33 weeks starting April 28 to speed up construction on the Valley Line Southeast LRT.
- Council supported Administration’s desire to solicit proposals to lease RE/MAX Field for ten years. Councillor Walters in particular is hoping for something creative.
- City-wide street sweeping will begin on Monday, April 15, weather permitting. “Residents can support the spring sweep program by moving their vehicles when crews are in their neighbourhood.”
- Here’s a feature on former mayor and current Alberta Party leader Stephen Mandel. “If you want an easy road, then try something else,” he says.
- A video posted to Reddit on Friday night showed an individual dousing vehicles with gasoline and setting them on fire near Whyte Avenue. Crazy.
- When it opens next year, the renovated Stanley A. Milner Library will include new recording studios.
- Troy and I spoke with senior planner Anne Stevenson all about the Zoning Bylaw Renewal project on the latest episode of Speaking Municipally. Take a listen and spread the word!
- Get the latest on Media, Tech, Food, Health Innovation, Music, Business, and Council with Taproot Edmonton’s latest roundups.
Photo by Sarah
- Michael Buble performs at Rogers Place on Monday evening.
- The 2019 CADTH Symposium takes place Monday and Tuesday at the Edmonton Convention Centre.
- Concordia University of Edmonton is hosting its 4th annual research forum on Tuesday afternoon.
- Metro Cinema is hosting an election results viewing party on Tuesday evening at the Garneau Theatre. CBC Edmonton’s watch party is taking place at Mercer Tavern.
- The Edmonton Community Foundation is hosting The Well Endowed Podcast Party on Thursday night.
- Seed&Spark and STORYHIVE are hosting Film Independence on Thursday at the ATB Branch for Arts + Culture.
- Press A to Start is taking place at MacEwan University’s Allard Hall on Saturday.
- Metric is performing at the Edmonton Convention Centre on Sunday.
Valley LRT line April 2019, photo by Jason Woodhead
Thanks for reading! Want to support my blog? Buy me a coffee!