Welcome to the fifth State of the Calgary Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Calgary. You can see last month’s stats here.
Apologies for the delay in getting this one posted. The source of the data this month has changed, slightly. In addition to Twitter Search, I added more data directly from Twitter itself. A total of 16,082 tweets were pulled from user timelines directly because they did not exist in Twitter Search.
User identification remains the same. If a user has his or her location set to Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered a Calgarian. If a tweet is “about Calgary” it contains either the word Calgary, the #yyc hashtag, or both.
For July 2009:
# of local users: 6626 (an increase of 980 from June)
To clarify, that means there were 6626 users who posted at least one tweet in July 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Calgarian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Calgary users without their location set or that were not captured for some other reason.
I’m happy with my previous stats posts existing as point-in-time snapshots. That said, I am continually improving my data set, making it more accurate over time. I am still happy with the numbers I posted for March through May – they are reasonably accurate (within about 100 users). The number I posted for June however, 5646 users, is not accurate. It was actually 6506, which means this month actually increased by 120 users (however I left the 980 above for consistency).
Here are the rest of the stats for July 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 238525
# of tweets by local users containing #yyc: 5028 (2.1%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 72969 (30.6%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 58297 (24.4%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 7713 (3.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 8159 (3.4%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates. You’ll notice that API is now identified separately from web:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): _LikeTheAngel, Kmcdancer123, ThankASoldier, euphoricradio, youthjuice1111, strategicsense, NoOnesInControl, eastonj86, mrrocknroll, jacquelinejane
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): Kmcdancer123, nscafe, C_DIG, NoOnesInControl, _LikeTheAngel, jonincalgary, ChelseySyrnyk, djkelly, CdnCowgirl, carmenincalgary
- Just over 50% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 5.3 tweets per minute in July, compared with 4.8 per minute in June.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was July 20th at 8958. On average, 7694 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 6908 in June).
- Of the 72969 replies posted by local users this month, 20625 or 28% were to other local users.
- A total of 996 users posted 50 times or more in July. In comparison, 1175 users posted just once.
There wasn’t much growth in July, which isn’t altogether surprising considering it’s the summer. I suspect things will pick up again in the fall. I’m still fascinated by the difference in tagged tweets between Calgary and Edmonton (you can see Edmonton’s stats for July here).
Since I started recording the stats for Calgary back in March, I have identified just over 12,500 local users. The number above, 6626, is how many of them were active in July.
Twestival Local is happening in Calgary on September 12th! Click here for more info.