Welcome to the ninth State of the Edmonton Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Nisku, Stony Plain, Fort Saskatchewan, Beaumont, Spruce Grove, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered an Edmontonian.
For September 2009:
# of local users: 5447 (an increase of 82 from August)
To clarify, that means there were 5447 users who posted at least one tweet in September 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Edmontonian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Edmonton users without their location set.
Here are the rest of the stats for September 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 241433
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 14320 (5.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 85819 (35.5%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 49412 (20.5%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 12343 (5.1%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 7847 (3.3%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Here are the number of local users by community (besides Edmonton itself) for September:
Keep in mind that is based entirely on the text inside the location field of the user’s profile, and is definitely a minimum. Still, gives you an idea of the breakdown.
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): talhaz, bevurlee, iRAMMEENN, GeneralTekno, Cokebear17, AndyGroenink, angelzilla, stygldpnyby, SkydivingWizard, trinamlee
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): bevurlee, stygldpnyby, britl, angelzilla, ZoomJer, akomuzikera, mspixieriot, Cokebear17, garrymullen, DebraWard
- Nearly 52% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 5.6 tweets per minute in August, compared with 4.6 per minute in August.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was September 23rd at 9606. On average, 8048 tweets were posted each day (compared with 6655 in August).
- Of the 85819 replies posted by local users this month, 32138 or 37.4% were to other local users.
- A total of 1021 local users posted 50 times or more this month. In comparison, 855 local users posted just once this month.
Very little user growth again this month. I was expecting it to pick up again in September, but that obviously didn’t happen. The number of tweets being posted by local users is definitely on the rise, however. There were seven days this month with over 9000 tweets posted.
Since January, I have identified just over 11,600 local users. The number above, 5447, is how many of them were active in September.
Should have the Calgary stats up soon!