Welcome to the seventh State of the Calgary Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Calgary. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered a Calgarian. If a tweet is “about Calgary” it contains either the word Calgary, the #yyc hashtag, or both.
For September 2009:
# of local users: 7144 (an increase of 292 from August)
To clarify, that means there were 7144 users who posted at least one tweet in September 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Calgarian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Calgary users without their location set or that were not captured for some other reason.
Here are the rest of the stats for September 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 261665
# of tweets by local users containing #yyc: 5867 (2.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 80182 (30.6%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 67306 (25.7%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 11788 (4.5%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 7812 (3.0%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): kairocanuck, ProtruckR, larissababe567, CalgaryCP, workmanrw, MrRockNRoll, youthjuice1111, Zarquil, TomAnus2, robertmcbean
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): nscafe, kiambas, C_DIG, Eves1, jayincalgary, JohnCornegge, CdnCowgirl, myownbiggestfan, darylcognito, gotkube
- Just over 50% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 6.1 tweets per minute in September, compared with 5.5 per minute in August.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was September 17th at 10303. On average, 8722 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 7881 in August).
- Of the 80182 replies posted by local users this month, 18845 or 23.5% were to other local users.
- A total of 1110 users posted 50 times or more in September. In comparison, 1148 users posted just once.
I anticipated the user growth for September would have been larger, but at least it’s still going in the right direction! As with Edmonton, the number of tweets being posted by local users is on the rise – there were seven days this month with over 10000 tweets posted.
Since March, I have identified just over 15,300 local users. The number above, 7144, is how many of them were active in September.