Welcome to the tenth State of the Edmonton Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Nisku, Stony Plain, Fort Saskatchewan, Beaumont, Spruce Grove, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered an Edmontonian.
For October 2009:
# of local users: 5631 (an increase of 184 from September)
To clarify, that means there were 5631 users who posted at least one tweet in October 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Edmontonian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Edmonton users without their location set.
Here are the rest of the stats for October 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 270044
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 18021 (6.7%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 98011 (36.3%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 58448 (21.6%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 13764 (5.1%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 7973 (3.0%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Here are the number of local users by community (besides Edmonton itself) for October:
Keep in mind that is based entirely on the text inside the location field of the user’s profile, and is definitely a minimum. Still, gives you an idea of the breakdown.
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- New stat this month! Here are the ten users who posted the most locally tagged tweets (#yeg, #yegtraffic, etc.; most tweets first): edmontonjournal, iNews880, cbcedmonton, Sirthinks, rootnl2k, yegtraffic, BrentWelch, mastermaq, Tamara_Stecyk, ZoomJer
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): bevurlee, Gen22, talhaz, GeneralTekno, rootnl2k, steenyweeny, angelzilla, stygldpnyby, iRAMMEENN, Cokebear17
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): bevurlee, stygldpnyby, angelzilla, britl, akomuzikera, ZoomJer, Sirthinks, grempel, frostedbetty, JodieGiese
- Just over 51% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 6.0 tweets per minute in October, compared with 5.6 per minute in September.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was October 16 at 10198. On average, 8711 tweets were posted each day (compared with 8048 in September).
- Of the 98011 replies posted by local users this month, 34881 or 35.6% were to other local users.
- A total of 1102 local users posted 50 times or more this month. In comparison, 907 local users posted just once this month.
I was hoping to have stats on Lists in this month’s post, but the API isn’t quite ready yet, so stay tuned for that next month! The increase in users this month was more than double last month’s increase, which is good. The number of tweets being posted by local users continues to rise also – there were three days this month with over 10,000 tweets posted.
Since January, I have identified nearly 12,500 local users. The number above, 5631, is how many of them were active in October.
Calgary stats are up next!
3 thoughts on “State of the Edmonton Twittersphere – October 2009”
I’m curious to see what kinds of stats you pull up form the lists. I like the #yeg stat. How about @mentions by the most different people. That would be interesting. Thanks again,