Welcome to the first State of the Victoria Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Victoria, BC.
For information on the data, definitions, and other background, click here.
For January 2010:
# of local users: 1246
# of tweets by local users: 48817
# of tweets by local users containing #yyj: 5826 (11.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 15655 (32.0%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 15152 (31.0%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 4594 (9.4%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 2086 (4.3%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Just under 54% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 1.1 tweets per minute in January.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was January 22 at 2108. On average, 1575 local tweets were posted each day.
- Of the 15655 replies posted by local users this month, 4706 or 30.0% were to other local users.
- A total of 207 users posted 50 times or more in January. In comparison, 60 users posted just once.
Here are the top ten most followed local users:
Here are the top ten most listed local users:
Here are the top ten most active local users:
Here are the top ten most active local users using #yyj:
First of all, thank you very much to Janis La Couvée for prompting me to put this together, and for helping out with the data. Follow Janice for all things Victoria on Twitter, and also check out @victoriatweetup, @smcvictoria, and Twestival Victoria.
I didn’t really know what to expect in terms of the data, but when going through the stats I was struck by how similar the results are to Edmonton in January of last year. Maybe Victoria is poised for lots of Twitter growth! I’ll continue tracking (and improving my tracking).