Welcome to the fifth State of the Edmonton Twittersphere of 2010, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton, AB. You can see last month’s stats here.
For information on the data, definitions, and other background, click here.
For May 2010:
# of local users: 8051 (an increase of 378 from April)
# of tweets by local users: 430714
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 32901 (7.6%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 152459 (35.4%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 105836 (24.6%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 22356 (5.2%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 14753 (3.4%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates – the official Twitter clients continue to grow in popularity:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Just over 50% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 9.6 tweets per minute in May (compared to 9.4 tweets per minute in April).
- The day with the most local tweets posted was May 28 at 16908. On average, 13894 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 13492 in April).
- Of the 152459 replies posted by local users this month, 57401 or 37.7% were to other local users.
- A total of 1640 users posted 50 times or more in March. In comparison, 1175 users posted just once.
Here are the top ten most followed local users:
Here are the top ten most listed local users:
Here are the top ten most active local users:
A couple of those are bots, so here are the next two:
Here are the top ten most active local users using #yeg:
And because three of those are bots, here are the next three:
Here are the top ten most replied to local users:
Here are the top ten most retweeted local users (by other local users):
We’re back over 8000 active users this month! We’re inching ever closer to 500,000 tweets per month as well. I suspect that the numbers won’t look as good for June given all of the downtime that Twitter has had recently. It’s interesting that three of the top ten active users using #yeg are bots. That’s the downside of a popular hashtag I guess. More on that next week!
4 thoughts on “State of the Edmonton Twittersphere – May 2010”
Here’s hoping @yegNazi will help weed out #yeg abuse.
ps-anyone know who it is?
My theory is that it’s @teesix… He’s quite the hashtag nazi.