Welcome to the twelfth State of the Edmonton Twittersphere for 2010, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton, AB. You can see the stats for November here.
For information on the data, definitions, and other background, click here.
For December 2010:
# of local users: 10198 (an increase of 259 from November)
# of tweets by local users: 529387
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 37063 (7.0%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 191871 (36.2%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 141953 (26.8%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 34255 (6.5%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 22703 (4.3%)
Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Just under 50% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 11.6 tweets per minute in December (compared to 12.2 tweets per minute in November).
- The day with the most local tweets posted was December 14 at 21297. On average, 17077 local tweets were posted each day (compared to 17527 in November).
- Of the 191871 replies posted by local users this month, 78509 or 40.9% were to other local users.
- A total of 1923 users posted 50 times or more in December. In comparison, 1667 users posted just once.
Here are the top ten most active local users (not including bots):
Here are the top ten most active local users using #yeg (not including bots):
Here are the top ten most replied to local users:
Here are the top ten most retweeted local users (by other local users):
Edmonton finally broke the 10,000 active user mark! Aside from that, however, it was definitely a holiday month. You can see a noticeable drop in the number of tweets posted around Christmas. Also fewer tagged tweets and more replies in December, which suggests to me less news being posted and more conversation taking place.
I should have my 2010 year-in-review up later this week. If you’re interested, stop by Twitter Talks on Thursday evening for even more twittersphere stats!
As always, keep in mind that the stats above rely upon users setting the location field of their profile to something like “Edmonton”. Users who leave that field blank or who put something like “Canada” are not reflected in the above stats.