Here’s my latest update on local media stuff:
- Friday’s episode of The Ryan Jespersen Show featured Jana Pruden, Tristin Hopper and Jeff Samsanow talking about Trump and the future of journalism. Oh, and Garth Brooks.
- Jeff was also on the radio earlier in the week on 630 CHED’s Afternoon News discussing trust & the media.
- Metro Edmonton is looking for a new Managing Editor. The deadline to apply is February 25. Current managing editor Tim Querengesser‘s last day will be March 1, after which he will be “working on a book, freelancing, learning to live lean and looking for new projects.”
- As mentioned back in November, this was Keri Sweetman’s last week at the Journal. Also leaving this week was Dave Lazzarino who started at the Sun back in 2012.
- Freelance photographer Jason Franson was covering the Women’s March at the Legislature last weekend for the Canadian Press and found himself in an altercation with The Rebel’s Sheila Gunn Reid and is now receiving death threats.
- Congratulations to Global Edmonton’s Gord Steinke on celebrating 25 years with the station! “Been a wonderful 25 years. Went fast by fast,” he wrote. In addition to seeing him on your TV you can now see Gord on your smartphone with Edmojis.
- Two interesting threads from Elise Stolte to share this week. The first deals with proposed changes to the MGA that would let the City stop advertising bylaw changes and rezonings in the Journal. The second concerns the City’s freedom of information policy & processes.
- Here’s Karen talking about where our most recent Taproot Edmonton stories came from.
- Don’t miss the latest Edmonton blog and podcast roundups from Seen and Heard in Edmonton.
- Here’s a CBC Edmonton feature on the Yeggers Instagram account that was started by Brittney Punter. “The page has become a platform where local photographers share their work, and the collection has captured the city’s often unappreciated beauty.”
- New Trail’s Thought Box interviewed Tim Currie, Jason Harley, and Paula Simons about “alternative facts” and other “post-truth” issues.
- CBC Radio has a part-time opening in Edmonton for a Weekend Producer.
Women’s March on Washington – Edmonton Solidary Event, photo by Paula Kirman
And here is some slightly less local media stuff:
- What can I say about Trump’s first week in office that you haven’t already seen elsewhere? It seems Mediagazer is all-Trump, all-the-time right now.
- Edward Greenspon, former editor-in-chief of The Globe and Mail, has written The Shattered Mirror, a report that “lays out the issues facing the Canadian news business and offers 12 recommendations for how to ensure a sustainable future for journalism in that country.” You can check out the report’s microsite here.
- Canadian journalists are meeting with Members of Parliament in Ottawa this week to discuss challenges facing the media.
- The Canadian Media Fund and Google Canada are launching a YouTube channel to celebrate “iconic Canadian film and television content from years gone by” as part of Canada’s 150th anniversary.
- This one is in my Pocket list for later reading – Ezra Levant: The Rebel’s unrepentant commander.
- Amsterdam’s De Correspondent reports it has reached the milestone of 50,000 paying members! “Some 78% of members pay €60 a year (around $65), the other 22% pay €6 a month ($6.50).” Amazing.
So, what have I missed? What’s new and interesting in the world of Edmonton media? Let me know!