Happy Long Weekend! Here are my weekly Edmonton notes:
- A group of workers from Ironworkers’ Local 720 shared some incredible photos from atop the Stantec Tower which will be western Canada’s tallest tower when it is complete. The photos are similar to the iconic shot of workers on the unfinished Rockefeller Plaza in 1932. This weekend though the workers got in trouble for the photos, with some being suspended and at least one being fired.
- This is why we can’t have nice things: someone vandalized the Talus Dome with green paint this weekend.
- A local company called Urban Timber Reclaimed Wood Co. has salvaged wood from the demolished Cloverdale Footbridge and will be transforming it into furniture. “Reclaiming the wood will allow people to bring home a piece of the city’s past, said Darren Cunningham, the company’s co-owner.”
- Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht “recently decided to not renew the contract of his hand-picked deputy chief, Brian Simpson, and will take a lead in choosing the replacement,” reports Janice Johnston at CBC Edmonton.
- Accidental Beach is back, but you might want to think twice about swimming near it, as AHS says naturally occurring E. coli in the soil could leach into the water and make you sick.
- The City of Edmonton has approved 9 applications for development permits for cannabis shops so far. For some shops a rezoning will be required though, with the first such decisions coming before City Council on August 20.
- According to the Realtors Association of Edmonton, condo sales are down 8% from last year and vacancy is up more than 20%. “The shift from condos to rentals started a couple of years ago but has picked up over the past year.”
- A WestJet plane flying at 4,000 feat near EIA had a “near miss” with a drone this week. “Putting an aircraft at risk with a drone, flying a drone where it’s not permitted and endangering anyone’s safety could fetch up to $25,000 in fines and/or jail time.”
- YEG Secrets is a new site “dedicated to showing off the coolest places in Edmonton and helping people explore our beautiful city.”
- The Hlinka Gretzky Cup starts on Monday at Rogers Place.
- Rainforest Alberta’s next Lunch without Lunch Edmonton takes place Tuesday at the Faculty of Extension space in Enterprise Square.
- Tuesday is Servus Free IMAX Night at the Telus World of Science. They’re showing Born to be Wild.
- Rock’n August gets underway in St. Albert on Tuesday.
- Meet at the Inukshuk on Jasper Avenue at 97 Street at noon for the next ArtTourYEG in The Quarters.
- The Edmonton Folk Music Festival runs Thursday to Sunday.
- Thursday is International Coworking Day and at least five local spaces are offering free coworking to celebrate!
- Fragapalooza 2018 runs Thursday to Sunday at the Leduc Recreation Centre.
- Cariwest runs Friday to Sunday at the Federal Building plaza. The parade will run down Jasper Avenue on Saturday starting at noon.
- The McCauley Community League is offering a free screening of My Big Fat Greek Wedding at Giovanni Caboto Park on Friday night.
- Animethon celebrates its 25th anniversary Friday to Sunday at the Shaw Conference Centre.
- Color Me Rad takes place in Edmonton on Saturday. You know, the 5K run with all the colorful powder!
- EPCOR RiverFest is back for another year on Saturday and Sunday.
- Heads up: the Green Drinks Garden Party is coming up on August 15 at Little Brick.
- Plan your calendar with Taproot Edmonton’s 2018 guide to summer festivals and events! It includes 75+ happenings you can look forward to this summer in and around the city.
Edmonton K-Days Exhibition 2018, photo by IQRemix
Thanks for reading! Want to support my blog? Buy me a coffee!