Welcome to the eleventh State of the Edmonton Twittersphere, my look at the intersection of Twitter and Edmonton. You can see last month’s stats here.
The source of the data this month is the same as last, primarily Twitter Search but also from Twitter directly. If a user has his or her location set to Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Nisku, Stony Plain, Fort Saskatchewan, Beaumont, Spruce Grove, or matching lat/long coordinates, they are considered an Edmontonian.
For November 2009:
# of local users: 5850 (an increase of 219 from October)
To clarify, that means there were 5850 users who posted at least one tweet in November 2009 with their location set to something that makes them an Edmontonian as described above. This number should be treated as a minimum – there are probably many more Edmonton users without their location set.
Here are the rest of the stats for November 2009:
# of tweets by local users: 290542
# of tweets by local users containing #yeg: 17282 (5.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were replies: 106992 (36.8%)
# of tweets by local users containing links: 63595 (21.9%)
# of tweets by local users that were retweets: 17756 (6.1%)
# of tweets by local users that were twooshes: 10054 (3.5%)
I think the retweet number might be a little off, due to the new retweet functionality on Twitter.com, but it’s close. Here are the numbers above in graphic form:
Here are the top clients used by local users for posting updates:
Here are the number of local users by community (besides Edmonton itself) for November:
Keep in mind that is based entirely on the text inside the location field of the user’s profile, and is definitely a minimum. Still, gives you an idea of the breakdown.
Some other interesting stats for the month:
- Here are the ten users who posted the most locally tagged tweets (#yeg, #yegtraffic, etc.; most tweets first): edmontonjournal, iNews880, rootnl2k, CBCEdmonton, yegtraffic, mastermaq, ZoomJer, Sirthinks, DebraWard, livingsanctuary
- The ten most active local users (most tweets first): Gen22, rootnl2k, bevurlee, SkydivingWizard, etownmelly, GeneralTekno, stygldpnyby, FWEE4U, steenyweeny, britl
- The ten most replied to local users (most replied to first): bevurlee, britl, akomuzikera, stygldpnyby, ZoomJer, bingofuel, grempel, ink_slinger, angelzilla, lessthanfive
- Just under 52% of all local tweets were posted between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Local users posted roughly 6.7 tweets per minute in November, compared with 6.0 per minute in October.
- The day with the most local tweets posted was November 27 at 12248. On average, 9685 tweets were posted each day (compared with 8711 in October).
- Of the 106992 replies posted by local users this month, 37675 or 35.2% were to other local users.
- A total of 1161 local users posted 50 times or more this month. In comparison, 869 local users posted just once this month.
User growth is still increasing, albeit rather slowly. There were only 9 days with less than 9000 tweets this month, and we broke the 12,000 per day mark for the first time.
Since January, I have identified just over 13,500 local users. The number above, 5850, is how many of them were active in November.
Calgary stats are up next, followed by December stats, then 2009 year-in-review stats. Stay tuned!